Te Kuiti Temporary Native Hospital, 1918

Original Filename: Native_Hospital.jpg (view)

Original Size: 489.2 KB

Original Image Type: image/jpeg

Te Kuiti Temporary Native Hospital, 1918.

Caption

During the influenza pandemic of 1918, known as 'the plague of the Spanish Lady', temporary hospitals were established to care for the sick. Pakeha patients were treated in the Warmington buildings and at Te Kuiti School. This hospital, based at Te Tokanganui-a-noho Marae was established to care for Maori patients. Pictured are: (front from left) Miss E. Fraser, Sister Nicholls, Miss Frances Hunt, Dr Zobel, Matron Marion Hattaway, . Elliot, Sister Dodds, Sister Sutherland, J. Arkle, Mrs Oliver, (back from left) Sister Breaton, Mrs A.J. Sutherland, J. Parker, Hoki Joseph, A. Moerua, Sister Olive Willison, A. Gates, Rangi Turner, Kahu Hetet, Laura Hetet and J. Jones. (PHOTO: Te Kuiti & District Historical Society).

Discuss This Topic

There are 2 comments in this discussion.

Read and join this discussion

join this discussion