Topic: Te Kuiti Hospital

Topic type:

Te Kuiti Hospital was officially opened on 27th November 1926.

It took more than 20 years for Te Kuiti's dream of having its own hospital to become a reality. Prior to the hospital's construction residents had to travel to Hamilton for treatment, which often involved long waits and train journeys that the seriously injured could not endure.

The first survey plan of Te Kuiti Native Township in 1903 shows a 3.5 acre hospital reserve, located on the corner of Hetet and Hill streets, gifted by Mr. John Taonui Hetet.

Fundraising for a hospital began in earnest in 1907 when Mayor G.P. Finlay enlisted the support of neighbouring Waitomo and Awakino counties to fund construction.

Te Kuiti's first doctor, Dr. Samuel Zobel, arrived in 1909 with a guaranteed income for two years to secure his appointment.

By 1917, £2000 had been raised for the purchase of 11.5 acres of land and Waikato Hsopital Board approved the proposal, supporting the necessity of a hospital in Te Kuiti.

However, the onset of World War One delayed construction. Following the war local authorities and Central Government agreed to a 50:50 funding split and works began.

The foundation stone was laid by Minister of Health Sir Maui Pomare on 18th July 1925 and on 27th November 1926 the hospital was opened.

A nine bed maternity ward was added to the existing facility in 1939.

The hospital has faced funding pressures and threats of closure during its history, but still serves the people of North King Country today.

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion