Topic: Schools in the Waitomo District

Topic type:

There have been more than 70 schools in the history of the Waitomo District, some lasting only a few years.

Schools have played an important role in the history of the Waitomo District for more than 100 years. The establishment of schools in the district since 1894 reflects patterns of settlement, with schools providing a focal point for local communities as they grew and closing as populations declined.

Please note: This list is incomplete. Schools that are currently operating are shown in bold.

ARIA SCHOOL

BENNEYDALE SCHOOL

CENTENNIAL PARK SCHOOL, TE KUITI

HANGATIKI PRIMARY SCHOOL (Opened 1906)

KINOHAKU SCHOOL

MAPIU SCHOOL

MAROKOPA SCHOOL (1908-1982)

MOKAU SCHOOL

OPARURE NATIVE SCHOOL

Oparure Native School was opened in 1906 with a roll of 22 pupils. It was established by Ruita Te Mihinga Joseph who recognised the need for a school for the children of Oparure and donated some of her own land in 1905 for the school to be established. The school's first head teacher T.C. Stanton, whose son Campbell was the only Pakeha student on the roll in 1906. The school lost its Native School status in 1923 when less than half its roll was Maori, but retained its Maori identity. Today it is a full immersion Kura Kuapapa Maori School, Te Wharekura o Oparure, which caters for both primary and secondary students.

PIOPIO COLLEGE

PIOPIO PRIMARY SCHOOL

PIRI PIRI SCHOOL

PORO-O-TARAO SOUTH PORTAL SCHOOL (1900-1902)

PUKENUI SCHOOL, TE KUITI

PUTAKI SCHOOL (1910-1921)

Putaki School was built by the Perrott and Williamson families and opened in 1910. In 1921 it merged with Waitomo Caves School No. 1 to become Waitomo Caves School.

RANGITOTO SCHOOL

ST JOSEPH'S CATHOLIC SCHOOL

TAHAROA NATIVE SCHOOL

TE KUITI DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL

TE KUITI HIGH SCHOOL (Opened 1955, formerly TE KUITI DISTRICT HIGH SCHOOL)

TE KUITI NATIVE SCHOOL (1897-1905)

TE KUITI PRIMARY SCHOOL (Formerly TE KUITI NATIVE SCHOOL)

TE KURA O TAHAAROA

TE WHAREKURA O OPARURE (Formerly OPARURE NATIVE SCHOOL)

WAIMIHA NATIVE SCHOOL (1910-1915)

WAITOMO CAVES SCHOOL (Formerly WAITOMO CAVES SCHOOL No. 1 & PUTAKI SCHOOL)

WAITOMO CAVES SCHOOL No. 1

Waitomo Caves School No. 1 was established by William Johnston in 1909. In 1921 is was merged with Putaki School to become Waitomo Caves School.

WHAREORINO SCHOOL, AWAKINO


 

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion